October 2012 | Volume 209, No. 11
Brief Definitive Report
- Human lymphoma mutations reveal CARD11 as the switch between self-antigen–induced B cell death or proliferation and autoantibody production
CARD11 signaling determines whether antigen stimulation induces B cells to proliferate or die.
- Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor–related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) reverses experimental pulmonary hypertension
Genetic deletion of TRAIL or antibody blockade prevents the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension and can reverse vascular remodeling in established disease.
- TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) exerts therapeutic efficacy for the treatment of pneumococcal pneumonia in mice
Neutrophil-derived TRAIL induces apoptosis of alveolar macrophages, limiting the spread of S. pneumoniae infection.
- TLR4 activation of TRPC6-dependent calcium signaling mediates endotoxin-induced lung vascular permeability and inflammation
TRPC6-dependent Ca2+ flux in endothelial cells after TLR4-induced diacylglycerol production mediates lung endothelial barrier disruption and inflammation induced by LPS.
- Extensive evolutionary and functional diversity among mammalian AIM2-like receptors
An evolutionary and functional analysis of mammalian AIM2-like receptors reveals remarkable diversity and redundancy.
- Disrupting galectin-1 interactions with N-glycans suppresses hypoxia-driven angiogenesis and tumorigenesis in Kaposi’s sarcoma
Disrupting Gal-1 interactions with N-glycans prevents hypoxia-driven angiogenesis to suppress tumorigenesis of Kaposi’s sarcoma
- Characterization of novel genomic alterations and therapeutic approaches using acute megakaryoblastic leukemia xenograft models
A CBFA2T3-GLIS2 fusion gene was identified in 31% of non–Down syndrome AMKL.
- Identification of Axl as a downstream effector of TGF-β1 during Langerhans cell differentiation and epidermal homeostasis
Axl expression is induced by TGF-β1 during Langerhans cell differentiation and enhances apoptotic cell uptake and blocks proinflammatory cytokine production.
- B and T cells collaborate in antiviral responses via IL-6, IL-21, and transcriptional activator and coactivator, Oct2 and OBF-1
Transcriptional activator Oct2 and cofactor OBF-1 regulate B cell IL-6 to induce T cell production of IL-21, to support Tfh cell development in antiviral immunity.
- Distinct cellular pathways select germline-encoded and somatically mutated antibodies into immunological memory
B cell memory is generated along two fundamentally distinct cellular differentiation pathways.
- Induction of tumoricidal function in CD4+ T cells is associated with concomitant memory and terminally differentiated phenotype
OX40 engagement induces a cytotoxic CD4+ T cell subpopulation to eradicate advance melanomas
- Tryptophan hydroxylase-1 regulates immune tolerance and inflammation
Tryptophan hydroxylase deficiency in mast cells breaks allograft tolerance, induces tumor remission, and intensifies neuroinflammation.